Hayling Island

Hayling Island

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Fixed the Cambridge P500

Another one off the list of things to sort out .. turned out to be one of the darlington output transistors. They have integrated emitter resistors, and one had gone from 0.22 ohm to something in the hundreds of ohms, so it got replaced. While I was there I checked all the caps (no problems) and I replaced all of the heat sink compound, as there was pretty much none on the transistor I changed. Actually I changed both on that channel to make sure I had a matching pair. Applied power, and success! Sound in both.

There's quite a lot of discussion on t'Internet about the bias current, but I found in the spec for the trannys themselves that they recommend 40mA. So I put some meters on, looking for 17.6mV across the two 0.22 ohm resistors. They seemed to want to settle at 20.4mV which is close enough.


This is a budget amp, so I wasn't expecting too much, but the heatsink is a bit pissy and it feels cheap. The whole amp is not worth saving, really but it might do for a bench amp at a push. At least it is now off my bench so I can move on down the list of things to be repaired.

No comments:

Post a Comment