Hayling Island

Hayling Island

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Reconing the Missions

And another one for the new Lab; I have removed all of the drivers from the Mission 700s. I think these speakers came from a small shop in Chandler's Ford in about 1981; I had re-coned them with some Audax drivers in the 90s, but they have lived a long, sun-drenched life in the Office on Hayling, and it was time to replace them again.

I had a good experience with the Monacor SP210 drivers in the Kef 104 I have in the lounge. They really do kick out a great, punchy but not overstated bass/midrange, so I bought another pair for the Missions.

Since the Lab is white and light Oak, with touches of chrome, the dark ?walnut of the boxes just had to go. I am not really sure how I feel about painting over veneer, but they were a little battered anyway on the corners. I took the trouble of spraying them with a white primer, and then an eggshell finish white. The new drivers went in after a couple of weeks of the enclosure drying in the garage, and they seem to have come out quite well:


Sounds? Well, having a bit of trouble with the amp at the moment. It doesn't seem to be decoding a digital input. I have the optical output from the TV, and I was hoping that the amp would just pick it up and drive the speakers, but it doesn't. I wonder if the HDMI board has left the planet when the old TV HDMI input went bang.

I did plug the Alexa into the analogue input on the amp, and I listened to Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive through the speakers. They work, and really very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment